Oct

On a nostalgia trip with The Numbers

You just gotta love the internet. A chance remark here or there triggers off a memory followed by Google and Youtube and before you know it, you’re reliving your youth.

The other day, I saw a reference to the Numbers which reminded of an Australian group I used to love back in 1980 or so. A three piece group made up of gutsy singer and bass player Annalisse Morrow and her brother, Chris who played guitar, sang and was the main songwriter. Joining them was Simon Vidale on drums. The group went through quite a few line up changes but Annalisse and Chris were always at the core. For me, the line up of Annalisse, Chris and Simon was the definitive one.

I must also confess I had a major crush on Chris (the blonde one) and apologies to Chris if he ever reads this.

The Numbers only had a couple of hits plus a hit album. Sadly, the second album and subsequent singles did not fare well and the group eventually broke up. I am the proud owner of Chris’ one and only solo single (should have been a huge hit). A few years later Chris and Annalisse had some success as the Maybe Dolls but that didn’t last.

It certainly brought back a flood of memories reading about the Numbers again and watching their videos. I honestly never thought they would have crossed my path again. As for ever getting anything on CD to replace my dusty vinyls was a pipe dream and then I saw it. A couple of years ago a small record company called Aztec Music got the idea to release a CD. Apparently they called every Morrow in the phone book in order to track down Chris and Annalisse and thankfully they were successful and the CD was released.

Apparently the CD has been quite a success. It was weird asking about it at Redeye Records one lunchtime, especially when the guy behind the counter knew exactly who I was talking about. I honestly thought I would be the only one.

And let me say that the CD is great stuff. My memory hasn’t cheated me at all. Great pop songs that still stand up today.

Here is my favourite and their biggest hit, “Five Letter Word”;

If only they could be convinced to reunite for a CountDown Spectacular or show like that.

If you want to know more, here is a good MySpace page to check out:

And don’t forget the CD which is simply called “Numerology”.

Advertisements

9 Responses to “On a nostalgia trip with The Numbers”

1. October 16, 2010 at 12:21 am

I’m not familiar with The Numbers, but I’ve searched other groups from the past. Great fun.

• 2 twistinthedark
      October 16, 2010 at 6:26 am

THe Numbers were stablemates with groups like the Dugites and a relatively unknown group (at the time) called INXS.

2. October 16, 2010 at 12:29 am

It’s crazy how the internet can so easily link us to our past.

3. October 16, 2010 at 12:44 am

SO cool that you gave us the video to enjoy. I must admit, I hate seeing the word “nostalgia” applied to my youth of the 70s and 80s… but that’s just my own sour grapes! Thanks again,
    -Wineguider, http://www.wineguider.wordpress.com

• 5 twistinthedark
      October 16, 2010 at 6:28 am

I agree about the word nostalgia. I agonised over it when writing the article but ti did seem to describe how I was feeling more than the group itself. 🙂

4. October 16, 2010 at 1:52 am

Ah, memories 🙂 Great reflection on your former crush and favorite band!

5. October 16, 2010 at 3:33 am

Love nostalgia, not heard of The Numbers though.

I’ve got to be fair “Five Letter Word” is a decent song.

I DO remember the Australian group ‘Let Loose’ from the early eighties. They had one big hit in the UK called “Crazy for You”

Now you’re talkin’

Stick a 50p in that juke box!

• 8 twistinthedark
      October 16, 2010 at 6:30 am

I remember Let Loose too and even saw them perform live at a music festival. I’m pretty sure that they were English though.

6. 9 sayitinasong
    October 17, 2010 at 8:25 am

Oh, I’ve done that… spent an entire Sunday afternoon on Youtube looking for old video clips and songs…lol…ahh the 80s… such innocence of…optimism..lol.