Aug

Losing weight for charity

grantwlcIn the couple of months leading up to the recent trip overseas, I managed to lose 14 kilos which I was very pleased with.

Since getting back to Australia almost two weeks ago, I have found it very hard to get motivated to get back into the weight loss routine. I have been suffering jet lag for longer and much worse than usual. Must be old age, I guess. 😉

But I can only blame the jet lag for so long before biting the bullet and taking on the responsibility again. I was talking to a couple of colleagues at work and we decided to support each other in our health goals. My manager suggested to make it interesting and potentially more motivating, we could each put in $50 and whoever lost the most (based on percentage of weight loss) could take the winnings.

The idea then took on a life of its own and before we knew it, our numbers had doubled to six. We decided to give a first, second and third prize.

And then someone suggested that we could get friends, colleagues and family to sponsor us and give the proceeds to the charity of our choice. Well, the competition was on!

I chose the Starlight Children’s Foundation. I have always supported Starlight since they granted a wish for my nephew, Daniel – a computer. Daniel is sadly no longer with us but I have always been grateful to Starlight for granting his wish and for the work they do with other ill children.

I have set up a page at Everyday Hero for anyone who would like to donate and set a goal of $500. If I win a prize in the Weight Loss Challenge then I will also donate the winnings to Starlight.

Please help support this worthy cause and help me lose weight at the same time. As well as raising $500, I am hoping to lose 10 kilos (about 22 pounds) over the next 5 weeks. Click here to read about my weight loss journey and to make a donation.

Thank you.

Advertisements

6 Responses to “Losing weight for charity”

1. 1 ohsevenphive
    August 25, 2009 at 9:19 pm

I think it’s a great idea, and it was an even better idea to mention your manager. When mentioned, she donates. It’s a rule and she stuck to it. Good luck but I still hope I win. 🙂

2. 2 twistinthedark
    August 26, 2009 at 6:29 am

If only I had known that earlier!!! It can be dangerous to mention your manager online since people have been sacked for badmouthing their boss.

I reckon my manager is my greatest threat in this challenge.

3. 3 Samuel Inglles
    September 18, 2009 at 6:58 pm

If I lived close to you, you and I can go for walks to exercise and keep fit and healthy!

We can talk, talk and talk while we walk.

Hey, the last time we were together we were walking together. Remember?

• 4 twistinthedark
      September 26, 2009 at 10:09 am

I am one of those solitary walkers. I have tried walking with friends but usually find it distracting. It’s my me-time where I can destress and think through things.

Call me selfish! 🙂

• 5 twistinthedark
      September 26, 2009 at 10:10 am

And yes, I do remember. We were walking from the pub – hardly fit and healthy. 😉

Still, it was a good time with friends which is what life is all about.

4. 6 Samuel Inglles
    September 27, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Fine then, we could go running instead!!

How does that sound?